Wednesday, July 25, 2012
My Cheese Dream
As I awoke one crisp September morning with my mind clear and thoughts of the dream I had the night before racing in and out of my mind a smile crept its way across my face. I bounced from my bed and into my new bunny slippers. Giggling, I floor skated to the bathroom where my mom had taken up residence. After a short shrug, I tiptoed to the kitchen following the scent of bacon. My dad was sitting proudly in his chair with a pleased look on his big face.
“Good morning champ, sleep well?” He asked as I slid into a seat and grabbed the box of cereal that was standing in the middle of the table. Dad watched as I carefully poured the sugary drops into my bowl.
“Yup, sure did. Dreamt about flying on a cloud of pepper jack cheese.” I answered while looking for milk.
Dad stood and reached his long arm into the fridge. Pulling out a gallon of milk he dropped some into my bowl while a grin grew on his face. “Do us a favor champ, do NOT tell your mom what you dreamed last night. She’ll tell me that it’s all my fault that you are not dreaming of being a rich podiatrist or president. Your mom has such high hopes for you.”
“I know she does dad, don’t worry. It’ll be our secret.” I said then dug in my bowl. After a moment I said, “Why would she blame anyone that I don’t dream of going to school? I’d of thought it more normal not to think about that sort of stuff.”
Dad quickly looked around to be sure that no one could hear what he had to say but me, then whispered, “Don’t tell anyone, especially not mom, I told you this okay?” I nodded nervously and then he continued, “your mom is what I call a faddist, not that I hold it against her. People who follow the latest thing, whatever it is, often lose sight of what’s really important. Little boys, in my opinion, are supposed to have dreams about flying pepper jack cheese.” He smirked then as I laughed and returned to my cereal.
Sometimes I wonder if faddistical thinkers really believe in dreams at all or if they’re convinced that the only time it is okay to dream about flying cheeses is when people get so old they have to wear diapers.
-Finis=
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment