When you're out on the street, and morbidity is setting in, and you've lost all sense of direction, lost it all again, smiling at the lady who came on her own blades, sure that somewhere again you'll feel safe. Don't worry anymore about the rent that's due, 'cause somehow sweet mercy might just pull you through. I started out for home, walked down a familiar road, get back to where you belong that's what I was told. So I searched out the Amber jack to see if it still dreamed, over yonder by the bay, with beer I felt redeemed. But there was something amiss, something out of place, and I looked in the mirror but didn't see my face.
Well I stumbled into the bar, looking for a shot of gin, my eyes were tired hopes wearing so thin. She said her name was "Cathy" but I call her Pam, she could've been my mother but I didn't give a damn. And she was crying in a sombrero over someone that she knew, who went skiing on payday and left her to her doom.
Then I saw a lady lying on a mailbox, "Send me anywhere at all," she said as she talked, "I been running these railroad tracks and as you can see they've all but broken my back. The enemy is the hand with which I lay, I want it to end but every time he pays, well I play."
Tina Marie went off someplace far I could never catch her with the fastest car. She took off from New York and never came back again. Which really pissed me off 'cause I wanted her to be the same. Then someone told me it was me and not her who'd changed. So I looked around for someone else to blame.
Well after a while I called my old lover and friend. How nice it was to talk with her once again. She laughed when I told her that I'd gone home. She said, "Home is where you left, not where you went!"
And I felt like a fool but I was no longer alone 'cause I walked in on myself and I said, "Man do you look spent." Said to myself, "Man do you look spent!"
So I'm out here on the street and morbidity just left town. He lost all sense of direction so he went south. Smiling like an idiot, who just found out, the story was not a story but a joke after all. And I sat here on the sidewalk and shouted loud, "Sweet Mercy has come again and saved us all. Sweet Mercy has come again, saved us all!
No comments:
Post a Comment