Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The House on Hartshorn Ave.

 

              From the corner tree where the sidewalk met the road the old place looked just that-old. It was dimly painted a fading shade of blue. The very idea that it was a structure that time forgot persisted in my mind as I stepped off the bus. My Uncle Lewis was supposed to pick me up after school right by the old dump. He was nowhere to be seen and it pissed me off because I was all set to hang out that afternoon. My friends and I were going to the park to shoot a couple games of HORSE. Now it looked like my plan was in the toilet which is where I'd have to put Uncle Lewis when I caught up with him. I slid my backpack off and slung it toward the ground out of anger. It didn't crash on the pavement though, instead it flew and landed on the porch of the creepy old place. I walked over to pick it up and slammed my feet on the way. I reached out to grab it and it moved, sliding toward the old screen door. Then I stared at the door as I noticed how badly the years had treated it.

               The springs were rusty and creaked, the spot where the screen was supposed to be was empty and the handle was split down the middle. I snapped my mind back to the job at hand and climbed onto the stoop to grab my backpack when the door whisped open and the stench of dying flowers hit me hard. Holding my nose I was overwhelmed with wonder so I found my feet trekking inside. A second later there was a furry yellow cat that shrieked at me and decided to see how long it'd take for me to leave. I took the challenge personally and figured I'd have a look around. The place was left behind God knows when and I could see there was furniture still inside. Cobwebs, dust, and cat turds were all over the place. I bumped into a cord which gave me a fright. I didn't make a noise instead I bit my lip as I checked the floor to see on what I'd stepped.
          
             A cool stiff wind came in from a window I couldn't see and it made a shiver run down my spine. My backpack got tossed at me from behind and I caught it with the whisper of a satisfied smile on my face. It then donned on me there had to be someone else inside this creepy old house. I mean backbacks don't usually just throw themselves at you, do they? I was nervous but once again I was too curious to turn back. I called out: "Hello, I don't know who is there but I only came here for my pack okay?"

           The reply sent a line of goosepimples up and down my entire body. The place was dark until a voice called out to me and then there was a pale red light that emerged from the ceiling. It said: "Heya Porky, I need to know if you're part of the demolition crew. I guess you're not, which is good because I don't like the idea of being forced to move. You know what I'm talking about?"

           My mind became much clearer than I thought it could ever be under the circumstances. Before I knew what was happening I said, "Yeah, I know just what you mean. My ma really pissed me off with that crap too. She told me we had to move and that I'd make new friends so don't worry about it."

         "Yep, and while you do make new friends your parents drive to see their old ones all the time." Then I watched with amazement as a full vase of flowers sprand to life and washed away the scent of their dead ancestors. The new aroma made a loud belly laugh come from my insides. "That's the same thing my parents told me when they died and left me here alone. The next thing I heard, some schmuck said he was buying the property and was going to wipe away the house. I convinced him not to touch the house but he bought the land. Uh, got a question for ya?"

         I was enjoying the conversation so I said, "Sure thing, what's up?"

        "Just wondering what year it is? It was a couple days ago, I think, that I got rid of the creep."

        "Hee-hee-hee, it's 2015. What year d'ya think it is?"

         The voice became a noisy laugh as the whole room shook and the light flickered. "Last I knew it was 1965 and the Beatles were happening. Wow, it's been a while then since that jerk wanted to wipe out my place."

        I smiled and we talked about what it was like to be a kid a hundred years ago and all of that. The next thing I knew my watch alarm went off and I was suddenly going to be late for dinner. The voice, as it turned out, belonged to a kid named Buckley. Buckley was born on the other side of town by the Bay River and had to move to the house on Hartshorn Ave. when he was fourteen. He was pissed about it but made the best of the whole thing. His folks and he got killed one night in seperate places. They left him home to beat the flu while they went out to eat. The old man fell asleep behind the wheel and they crashed into a tree. Buckley threw his guts up and died that same night. Since then he's stayed at the house so he could make peacewith his dumb parents.

       After I told him what my problems were he said he'd help me. We shared a laugh and then agreed that I could return whenever I wanted. I walked out into the cool evening and saw Uncle Lewis pull up in his beater. He grinned as he opened the door and I climbed into the warm seat. "Sorry I'm so late there little buddy, I had to break up with my girl and she was pissed. The screwed up thing is that I forgot your mom asked me to meet you here. Then as soon as I left Cindy's a breeze whispered your name and I floored it to get here. I know that sounds weird but it's true!" He looked freaked out and I nodded. We pulled away from the house and I felt a rush of the giggles come over me.

     The old place is still there and every now and then I like to go back and shoot the crap with Buckley. Ghosts make great friends you know?


                                                                 -Finis-           

No comments:

Post a Comment