Friday, March 16, 2012

Shannon’s Place

 

 
                                           "Okay, I grant the absurdity of everything that had gone on to this point, the thing is, I never will figure out the mindset of people. Further, I tried to make do with what I had, which is why the macaroni tasted like feet. It wasn’t my fault some clown put the dirty clothes with the groceries and they had to be separated quickly. As for the cheese, it was left over from the Second World War and discovered in an old chest in the attic after we moved in. like I said, I always make do with what I have.” Shannon Elizabeth was desperately trying to explain to her in-laws and guests why the housewarming dinner they just consumed was so oddly flavored.

 

                                             She was a young thirty-year-old wife who, with her husband of twelve years and twins and triplets, had just moved into one of the oldest houses in Laketon. The guests were stunned into silence as they exchanged troubled glances with each other. From beneath the table, a giggle emerged. Turning into a sadistic laugh, it erupted and the people in the room felt an urgent sense of concern wash over them. That’s when they saw the slight figure of a man rise from the floor.

 

                                               Frozen in an eternal moment, Mr. Elizabeth sr. grinned. “I told you didn’t I Rob?” He stabbed a pointy finger at his son, “There is a reason this creepy old place was so cheap it is haunted.”

 

                                             The figure then opened his mouth and a swarm of mosquitoes flew to
freedom as it said, “Serves you right to have to eat that garbage. I worked here for years under that tyrant of an ass, Bugglesbee. After the old coot finally kicked it, he teased me into swallowing poison and joining him. That’s my story and yours will be just as unpleasant if you decide to stay and let the crusty old bird profit from your purchase!”

 
                                            “Bugglesbee was one of the founding fathers of this county. Generations
of his family lived here, now the last one died forty years ago. What the hell are you talking about, nobody who’s dead can profit from anything.” Shannon was frustrated at the specter that decided to ruin her dinner. She stood with crossed arms defiantly before the spirit.

 

                                             The ghost studied the woman for a moment as his eyes shifted and he tried to figure out what next to do. Finally he peeped, “I’m sorry, okay?” Elegant tears of ruby started to fall from his decrepit eyes. “There is no profit is there? You are right you know I don’t know why I did not realize it sooner.”

 

 
                                              Shannon was still annoyed despite the remorseful nature of this ghost. “Because you’re a stupid man and always will be. Don’t worry about it though; some of the greatest people are not the sharpest knives in the shed.”


                                             She then reached out to brush his tears from his eyes and the rest of the folks remained in a state of shock. The house became an inn with an added bonus-the ghost of Todd Caruthers (1 time executive, one time butler, now full time spirit) who would entertain the customers with tales of how it was back in the day and parlor tricks.

 

 

-Finis-

No comments:

Post a Comment